The Oxford ESL Dictionary for learners of English helps students understand the meanings of words and how to use them correctly. It includes 42,000 words, phrases, and meanings and 35,000 examples to show how words are used.
The dictionary marks the Oxford 3000 words (the most important words to know in English), content area vocabulary (math, social studies, science, etc), and Academic Word List words.
The Oxford Writing Tutor (included in the print dictionary) and the Oxford iWriter on the CD-ROM show students how to plan, write, and review different types of writing. The dictionary helps students:
• Understand what words mean by using defining vocabulary containing words that students already know.
• Build vocabulary and achieve academic success.
• Improve writing skills with Oxford iWriter and Oxford Writing Tutor.
• Focus on the Academic Word List and the Oxford 3000 (the most important words to learn in English).
• Write in different types of texts in English, from resumes to emails to essays, with the Writing Tutor.